Let's Get Real

I'm going to get real today. The DRCongo is not an easy place to live. Life is difficult. I know, American standards, but nonetheless difficult. Our drive to our office each day is fraught with the craziest traffic on earth. Lawless. Cars get bumped all of the time. We got stuck last week in an absolute gridlock for 45 minutes. Not one single car moved one inch. It takes us anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and a half each way to go 6 miles. There are few lights and if there is, nobody uses them. It's every man/woman for him/herself. Police shakedowns are common. We keep our car locked and when we are surrounded by police we look straight ahead. We act as tho they are not there. They try to open your doors. They hit your car with sticks. We actually bribed......uh, I mean had a righteous exchange (to quote David R. Bednar) with two police last week. Food has been difficult to figure out. Our world is very small. We don't go out after 6:00pm when it gets dark. It's not safe. There is a machete gang that terrorizes people with their machetes. I could go on with more difficulties but you get the picture.

Now, I'm going to get more real. I love it here. I love the Congolese people. They are quick to smile. They are quick to say hello. They guard our car when we are at the store. They open doors for us both in the store and to our cars. They salute us. They are curious about us. They love to try out their English on us and I say a few things in French. They bag our groceries and then take them to our car for us. The members of our church have been so kind to us. They are welcoming to us. I have been pulled (very willingly) into their choir. I have seen the 'Push Push' men pull and push carts with hundreds and hundreds of pounds of concrete up hills and on occasion someone will stop and help push. They work so so hard. I see the women in their beautiful clothing So bright and cheery. I have never seen such hard working people that will do literally anything to earn a living. I have seen people committed to Christ. I have seen them have an eternal hope for a better life. They see the bigger picture. They serve. They love. And boy do they ever sing!

We have had our own difficult moments. We have never wanted to come home. We have had separate days of 'What is our purpose here'. ...'Why the Congo'.....'Why us?'.......'Did we do the right thing leaving our family?'.....and the list goes on. Elder Stewart had a bit of a down day on Thursday. We also got caught in the worst rainstorm and it was also the 'stuck in the gridlock for 45 minutes' day. Friday morning emerged. I know I had prayed that Elder Stewart would find some relief from his questions. We made it to our offices without incidence. Our office manager, Titi 'Mr Ray of Sunshine' was there for just the morning. About 11:30 am four missionaries showed up. Elder Mpolesha, Elder Itela, Elder Katema, and Elder Mukuna. It had been Elder Itela's birthday the day before. We had popped over to the Kin Marche and grabbed a menagerie of goodies to help him celebrate. Cake, baguette, apples, and Snickers. Yup, a true Congolese menagerie. We brought them all into the waiting room and put out our spread and said and kind of sang Happy Birthday to Elder Itela. He was sooooo happy and soooooo appreciative. We all got back to work in our separate offices. Elder Itela went into Pauls office and expressed how grateful he was for what we had done. Paul reached across his desk to offer a handshake. Elder Itela put his arms out for a hug. Paul went around his desk and grabbed up Elder Itela in a hug. A hug that Elder Itela did not want to end. He started to cry. Paul teared up and told him he was such a good missionary and that we loved him.

Elder Itela just needed a dad hug that day. Maybe he just needed a connection. I don't really know what was behind his need for a hug. But Paul needed a hug and a purpose that day. He needed a connection that let him know that he was needed here. Right now. That he was where he was supposed to be, doing whatever the Lord asked of him. Heavenly Father was so aware of both of their needs. He knows the exact timing that will be the most beneficial to us. He is abundantly aware of us. He is in the details of our lives. How grateful I am for a loving God and His son Jesus, that allow us to struggle - allow us to be humbled - allow us the stretch to refine ourselves - and then provide us with the much needed answers to our prayers.

Elder Itela, thank you for serving the Lord in the DRCongo. Thank you for living a life worthy of being the answer to prayer. Thank you for being the answer to my prayers.





"I testify that our Heavenly Father always remembers us and that He loves us perfectly." Elder K Brett Nattress

I add my witness to this.

Comments

  1. Wow! Very inspiring. I've been thinking of you both a lot, excited in your opportunity to magnify the love of Jesus together, to all you encounter. Selfishly, I would love for you to be in Klamath Falls so I could receive a hug from Paul, as I continue to navigate this new life without Vicki. Please know that I love you much. DAVID

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thankful for both ur dedication to these children of the Lord. That is what keeps u m9ving forward each day. Nothing worth having comes easy. I'm so inspired by by the strength of ur spirits. Remember to just breath & pray thru every hardship. U got this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment